This year, I got to stay home and give out candy while Bill went out with the girls. I was somewhat excited about this opportunity. It is fun to see what the other kids are dressed as. I wore a long black dress with heavy eye makeup. A lot of the little girls thought I looked pretty. :-) One little girl asked me if it was a costume. I said, "Or, I might just dress like this everyday. You just don't know, do you?" I don't think she was satisfied with that answer, but I was. :-)
I'm one of those folks who won't give you any candy until you say, "Trick or Treat." I stare the kids right in the eye until they say it. One kid came up and said, "Give me Twix." Er...that's not exactly right!
I was disappointed in the traffic that my candy bowl got. I started off just giving our one or two pieces at a time. I ended up giving out 5 pieces at a time to empty out the bowl a little! I had a book outside with me and was actually able to read a bit. I also got bored. At one point, I went inside and made a cup of coffee to warm my hands. I didn't miss a single kid. *sigh* You know, I appreciate what the churches and other organizations do with their "Truck or Treat" events. I think they are very nice and you can sure get a lot of candy really quickly at those things! However, it takes away from the neighborhood. My mom once said that Trick-O-Treat was a "treat" to the folks who gave out candy to see the neighborhood kids all dressed up. It's a great way to get out of the house and say "hello" to your neighbor down the street that you may only see once a year.
There weren't really any exceptional costumes that came by my house. The Joker and Batman came together...hmm...
On our part of the block, we all "dress up" to give out candy. So, probably, the most creative costume I saw was our neighbor dressed as a Hershey's Kiss...not sure if that was the type of candy she was passing out or not, though. ;-)
Again, I appreciate what the Trunk-or-Treat folks are trying to do, but I think people should stop and consider visiting with their neighbors once a year, October 31.
Marriage: The Amazing Race
3 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment