Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Consumer Christmas has begun

In response to my recent facebook status, a friend emailed me this comment:
"I am simply appalled by the junk being marketed to young children this Christmas season. I haven’t seen it this bad in years."

*sigh* Thankfully, my kids only watch TV on Saturday mornings...of course those hours are PACKED with toy commercials. But I'm sure that Nickelodeon, Disney, and whatever other annoying channels are out there put it in front of you all of the time. Nick and Disney are locked on my TV. ;-) Those shows bug the heck out of me (with the exception of SpongeBob, which we have on DVD.) Our kids aren't allowed to watch during the week anyway.

The only thing that Neleh has told anyone she wants for Christmas is an "Alive Cub." My mother-in-law went to ToysRUs to look for one and couldn't find it. I looked it up online. Those things are $50!! MIL said that she was probably going to get it for Neleh, despite the cost, if that's all she wants.

Becka hasn't told anybody anything that she really wants for her birthday (Thursday) or Christmas and it bugs people!! They've got to know what she WANTS. Hey, if she doesn't WANT anything, aren't we doing something right around here?

Bill's family is slowly phasing the gift-giving out of Christmas...adults don't exchange gifts anymore and the kids draw names.
Mom, my sisters and I still do exchange gifts. The "best" gifts are those that they figure out that I want/need without me telling them. It's fun for us that way. That's just what I think.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Just wanted to say I love your new look!! :) I love that website!