Friday, August 1, 2008

What have I accomplished this today?!?! (the life of a SAHM)

I am a Stay-at-Home Mom. Sometimes I don't think I do a very good job of that. I'm not always good at staying home, and I don't always feel like a good mom. As I consider what I've accomplished today, I just had to blog a bit about my lifestyle.

Woke up this morning and got ready for the day.
Convinced the kids to stop watching TV and get dressed. We'd done well at making beds this week, but I think they forgot today.
(Oh well.)

I came downstairs to the computer to "quickly" order homeschool books before lunch. Well, I only got half of the stuff ordered before having to leave.

We drove by the bank on the way to Chick-Fil-A. I endorsed my checks and pulled out a blank deposit ticket. Oops. I don't have my account # with me! So I just cashed the checks instead. Oh well.

We met my grandparents for lunch and had a nice visit with them. We were continuing the celebration of Neleh's 6th birthday (which was a week ago).

After lunch, instead of going home to get stuff done there, we headed over to the house which we are currently housesitting. That only takes about 30 seconds: get mail, run in, put in kitchen, lock up, take paper. Ta da.

BUT - on the way back home, we saw a YARD SALE!!! I saw a tripod out and had to stop and inquire. Only $1? SOLD! And, of course, we bought a few other things while we were there. I got a set of placemats; Jill got some shorts; Becka some shades; Neleh a curling brush.

On the way home, Jill & I do some garbage picking and come home with a nice card table.

We do end up getting home eventually. Of course Neleh wants to use her new "toy" right away. ALAS - apparently it had spent some time in a makeup drawer and had foundation residue all over it (should've checked that before purchasing, perhaps?). Yuck. Who wants that in their hair? So I spent a little while this afternoon trying to clean that off. The little brush parts slide off of the iron. I used a toothbrush and eye makeup remover. The stuff didn't wash off very quickly. After a little bit of scrubbing, and realizing other things I needed to be doing, I ran a sinkful of water + eye makeup remover, and let the brush parts soak.

Meanwhile, I come back down to the computer to finish ordering homeschool books. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!! Ta da. *whew* Of course, once I'm online, I check email, play on Facebook, etc.

I did switch the laundry around, so that was some "housework" that was done. As I was finishing that up, Neleh and her friend come down and ask again about the curling brush. Since I was at a stopping point in things, I headed upstairs to finish cleaning up this brush thing. Realizing how much time I spent on that brush inspired me to come down here and waste time blogging about it.

It made me stop and think that these "silly little things" are what motherhood is about. After cleaning the thing, we had to use it. Not sure if it is working the way it should, but the kids seem content now that it is, indeed, usable.

SO WHAT HAVE I ACCOMPLISHED TODAY?????
Love. A mother's love. And a few little other things along the way.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing. I always wonder how other people spend their day.