Sunday, August 31, 2008

Fireworks

A couple of the churches in our neighborhood have decided that this is THE weekend to have loud outdoor concerts and fireworks. I could hear Jars of Clay just fine from my porch. Not sure how much tickets were, but I didn't need them.
The fireworks show last night was very enjoyable...except for one thing.
TREES! Why can't people shoot off fireworks for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentines Day? There aren't nearly as many leaves to block my view! Why, if there weren't so many leaves around, I could probably have seen the whole show last night, instead of just the high ones.
You know why I like watching fireworks from my house instead of going? 'Cause I LOVE the delay in sound vs. light. It took "one one-thousand" last night between seeing the thing explode and then to hear it. So whenever I saw one of the little ones that is REALLY LOUD, I knew to cover my ears before the sound reached me. I think that is SO COOL! I've known that sound waves are slower than light waves. Everyone learns that with thunderstorms. Yet, I am still so excited about such things when I discover them again and again. Ah, the wonders of creation! I'm hearing really loud music from outside right now. Could that be the REALLY LOUD sound of tonight's outdoor concert? Guess we shouldn't plan to go to bed early. Those fireworks will just keep us up anyway.
The first year one of these churches did this, it irritated me!!! They should stick notes on the doors of all the houses within a mile, "WARNING: Fireworks will start at 10:00PM tonight. Be prepared." Last night, the emergency vehicles came around our neighborhood (police, fire...). I wondered if someone had wrecked their car while watching the fireworks. Everything must have been ok, cause they left soon after. I did think I saw the blinking lights at an intersection nearby. Whatever. That's neither here nor there.

My kids were excited earlier that they were going to go to this carnival sponsored by this local church. They got there with their friend to find out that there is a $25 admission fee!! My comments on that will be kept to myself.

Back to my original subject:

PLEASE shoot more fireworks for the holidays that don't include leaves on trees. Besides, it gets darker at those times of the year. You can get the show started earlier!!

No comments: