Saturday, February 23, 2008

That time of year again...

Yup. It's February. And that means it's FAWM time again. Yes, the wonderful time of the year when February Album Writing Month rolls around and people are challenged to write 14 songs in 28 days. This year, 14.5 in 29. ;-) There are over 1600 registered on the website. Only about 400 actually post songs though. Sounds like church membership... But that's not what my thought is.
My thought is about FAWM in general. Well, there are lots of things to be said. I think some of this will have to wait for my Ponderings blog. I'll get to that later.
What is FAWM all about? Well, as I mentioned it is a challenge for song writers to produce, as in put forth ideas for, an album during the shortest month of the year.
FAWM started with just 4 friends in 2004. I'm #6 on the list, joining in 2005. Wow. #6 out of 1600. Does that get me a prize? No? Oh well. So I have participated in this challenge for every year. And, every year, I have been a "Winner!" - making it to 14 songs. I have a confession. They aren't really all SONGS. A lot of it is just BS to get to 14. I've done "Sound Art" in the past. I've let my kids scream into the computer mic in the past. Last year, my last entry was a song title with a sentence about what my song MIGHT be. Um...just a title and a line from the song which never developed.
So far, this year, I have officially posted 9 song titles. Only one of which hasn't really been written. It's a challenge from another group of people within the challenge. I'm going to complete it, but haven't yet. The lyrics and chords were given, so it's just a matter of recording it my way. The thing is, if you don't post your titles in February, they don't count. If you come up with the idea, but can't make a demo or anything til March, post your idea. In March, everyone is supposed to keep spending their days and nights on the website commenting on other people's songs. So post your title, come back to it once you get the others of the 14 done. But other than that, I think I am doing pretty well.
Last year, my big stumbling block was that I didn't have a voice for the entire month of February! What a bummer! That is going around this year, but luckily, I did't get it...yet. THIS year, it's been a lack of privacy. Bill isn't currently working and not going to school all of the time. In other words, he's here a lot. I don't have the luxury of hiding in the cave of my basement to work on this stuff without bothering him. Of course, at the moment, he's upstairs, and I'm wasting valuable time on a blog when I should be writing songs...or a Sunday School lesson...
Hmm....good point....I'll go now...

No comments: