Thursday, September 27, 2007

NFL Fleecing of America

I am a football fan. Somewhere along the past 10 years, I became a football fan. Over the past 2 or 3 years, I've found myself to be, more specifically, an Indy COLTS fan :-) I like their team logo and colors...
Anyway...
So my Sunday afternoons are typically "reserved" for laying around watching football on network TV. We typically get 2 games on CBS, 2 games on FOX, then the Sunday night game on NBC. I believe this is standard, eh?
This past Sunday, I sit down on the couch to watch football...as is my custom...um...where's the football?!?!?!!? Why is there "paid programming" on? Who wants to watch infomercials? No one. Who wants to watch football? ME and lots of other people.
So this ticks me off a bit. So much that I am still thinking about it on Thursday. So, finally, today, I think to email the TV Station, our local CBS affiliate about this paid programming nonsense.
I got a quick response, which was nice. :-) However, I didn't like the answer:
Jennifer,
When CBS airs a SINGLE HEADER – station’s only get ONE game. WKYT’s game was at 4:00 pm – since it included Cincinnati. We did not have a 1:00 pm game! In the future, I will run a crawl letting you know that our singleheader is at 4:00 pm.
Sincerely, [Lady at TV Station]

Why, oh why, is CBS only airing a Single Header? WHY?!?!?! Is there only one ballgame at 4:00 on Sunday, and none at 1:00? NO! You go to cbssportsline and can see all of the sports action there. I couldn't find where to click about "why we don't feel like showing you the football you want to watch..."
My thought --
It's the NFL trying to fleece the American football fans. Why, if we can't see our games on the local network, then maybe we'll need to get DISH and a subscription to NFL Network or Sunday Ticket, or whatever -- i.e. PAY to see our games.
So is there some sort of conspiracy going on here? Is the NFL paying CBS not to air football so that the NFL can steal more of our money when we have to buy their silly subscriptions?

Raaaar. That makes me ill. It's bad enough that the price to see a LIVE game is so high (esp. thanks to eBay and such for enabling scalpers to scalper wider and higher).
Thank heavens for SportsRadio!!! ESPN Radio is free (for now). Of course, last week, I got to listen to the SAME game on two different radio stations, two different broadcasters. Not cool.
Gotta run. Possibly more on this later...

No comments: